Last January the Dell XPS 13 developer edition (9370) made its debut. Today we’re excited to announce that one year later its successor, the XPS 13 developer edition (9380), is now available in the US, Canada and Europe. (Note: both the 9370 and 9380 will coexist for a period of time.)
The 9380 represents the eighth generation of Dell’s Ubuntu-based XPS 13 developer edition series. The first generation of the developer edition debuted over six years ago and it, along with the Ubuntu-based Precision mobile workstations that launched in 2015, make up Project Sputnik. In case you’re not familiar with it, Project Sputnik is Dell’s skunkworks initiative driven by input from the developer community (see the timeline at the end of the post for the complete XPS 13 developer edition progression).
Dell XPS 13 developer edition (9380) — System highlights
Although there are many great features and specs that characterize the latest developer edition (see below), the one that will likely bring the most joy is the new placement of the webcam. In the 9370 the camera is located directly below the screen. In the new 9380 the camera has been moved to the top, providing a much more flattering view of the user while still maintaining the system’s sleek, compact design.
Not only that but the 8th generation developer edition supports Suspend-to-idle natively which allows the system to resume much more quickly from sleep.
- Intel 8th generation i3, i5 and i7 processors (Intel Whiskey Lake U, 15W, non-vPro)
- Ubuntu 18.04 LTS preloaded
- InfinityEdge display with top camera placement
- Easier to open
- FHD and UHD resolution support
- Up to 16GB of LPDDR3 memory at 2133MHz
- 1 x NVMe slot for 2230-128GB / 2280 up to 2TB
- Thunderbolt 3 (x2) with USB3.1 Gen2 + type-C x1 with USB3.1 Gen2 speed
- Improved Thunderbolt runtime power management
- Killer® 1435 802.11ac [2×2] + Bluetooth 4.2
The United States and Canada
In the US and Canada there are four base configs that can be configured in a multitude of ways, yielding 22 configurations. These base configs are:
- i7 QC|8GB|256GB|FHD T
- i7 QC|8GB|256GB|UHD T
- i7 QC|16GB|512GB|UHD T
- i7 QC|16GB|256GB|UHD T
(Note: unlike Europe, in the United States and Canada the developer edition can only be purchased in the “For Work” section.)
Beating the US and Canada to the punch, on January 9th the first configurations of the new XPS 13 developer edition became available in Europe. At the end of last week two more joined to complete the lineup:
- i7 QC|16GB|512GB|UHD T
- i7 QC|16GB|1TB|UHD T
- i7 QC|8GB|256GB|FHD NT
- i7 QC|16GB|512GB|FHD NT
The above configurations are available in both the “For Home” and “For Work” sections on Dell.com and are available online in the following countries:
- Belgium (Dutch and French)
- Switzerland (German and French)
- The Netherlands
- The United Kingdom <- The developer editions will be added to shortly to the 9380 product page. Until then, the systems can be purchased via chat on the product page or by calling the number that pops up.
Being able to announce the next generation of the XPS 13 developer edition is a great way to begin the year. Watch this space to see what is next on the agenda for 2019.
XPS 13 developer edition timeline
- 4th gen Dell XPS 13 developer edition in US and Europe — April 9, 2015
- Exclusive: Dell Opens Up About Its Linux Efforts And Project Sputnik – Forbes
- Dell Shipped Linux On 162 Unique Platforms In Fiscal Year 2019 – Forbes
Pau for now…